As I'm paranoid, I create a brand new email address each time I've got to register on a web site. It's easy enough and allows me to partition usages and detect abuse. If one of those dedicated addresses ends up in the wild (spammers for example), I just destroy it.
So, in 2010 I registered a support account on Elinchrom's web site with a tailored address : elinchrom (@patpro.net of course). Later, during September 2014, I've received a big spam at that address, neither from Elinchrom nor from one of their partner. After a quick search I've found many other spams blocked by my server. The earlier arrived in 2013.
I've contacted the company, explained the problem, and sent extracts from my mail server logs. After few days, they could find no evidence of a compromise or a data leak on their side. Fair enough, that's not the kind of things you can detect easily, especially if it's years old. On a side note: it's not impossible that I've used the same email address for a contest or event registration affiliated with Elinchrom but not run by them. My bad. At least, this time they deserved the benefit of the doubt.
Following this leak, I've changed the address email to elinchrom2014 (still @patpro.net) and changed the associated password.
The 31th of December 2015 I've received my very first email at this new address: a Paypal phishing attempt, out of a hacked web server somewhere…
As I'm super-vigilant since 2014 not to use this address anywhere, the only possible scenario is a data leak at Elinchrom. Going back into my logs, I've found the earliest spam blocked dated from the 24th of October:
Oct 24 17:17:50 postfix/smtpd: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[184.108.40.206]: 550 5.7.1 Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname, [220.127.116.11]; from=<email@example.com> to=<elinchrom2014@...> proto=ESMTP helo=<smtp.net4india.com>
I've immediately destroyed this email address, created a new one (longer, with random characters), changed the password again.
Elinchrom: seriously, that's ridiculous, do something. Even the user authentication does not use HTTPS. WAKE UP, it's 2016.